Tuesday, October 8, 2013
October 10th, 2013 is World Mental Health Day. This year WHO has declared the theme for the day as "Mental Health and Older Adults”, hence Makro Foundation is raising an awareness that Mental Health during old age can be managed.
World Mental Health Day was initiated by World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH) in 1992 to highlight the importance of mental health.
What are the risks of Mental Health in Older Years of Life
· Older adults are particularly at risk of social and financial isolation and financial difficulty that can negatively affect physical and mental health of older people.
· Older adults are vulnerable to neglect and isolation
· Chronic physical illness like blood pressure, diabetes, stroke increase the risk of depression among older adults.
· Commonly they suffer from Dementia and Depression
Symptoms of Depression include: Persistent Sadness, low energy, and difficulty in normal functioning.(7% of older people suffer from Depression)
Symptoms of Dementia: Includes forgetfulness, confusion and change in behavior(Dementia affects 5% of older people)
Promotion Positive Mental Health -----------------If you have elders in family:
1. Take care of them
2. Help them maintain relationship with friends,family, community.
3. Have regular check up with physician.
4. Take care of physical and mental emotional health.
5. Promote Healthy Ageing...
6. Balanced Diet, Sleep, Exercise, Meditation, Yoga, Positive Thought..
FOR SEEKING PSYCHOLOGICAL OR COUNSELLING SERVICES FREE OF COST:
CALL US AT 040 - 4600 4600 between 10:00 am-7:00 pm Monday- Friday
Write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chat with us:http://www.makrofoundation.org/express/
Makro Foundation is an organization that works for Promotion of Positive Mental and Emotional Health.
Posted by Makro Foundation at 3:04 AM