When we talk about Value what comes to your mind? Every one of us has our own values. For me I value family and one cannot ask how much as it is meaningless here. It’s qualitative sense of value. When we think of our values, we think of what is important to us in our lives (e.g., security, independence, wisdom, success, kindness, pleasure). Each of us holds numerous values with varying degrees of importance. A particular value may be very important to one person, but unimportant to another. Values are beliefs. But they are beliefs tied inextricably to emotion, not objective, cold ideas. Values are a motivational construct. They refer to the desirable goals people strive to attain.
I would like to present here the derivation of 10 basic values of Schwartz [Schwartz, 1992, 2005a]
- Self-Direction. Independent thought and action; choosing, creating, exploring.
- Stimulation. Excitement, novelty, and challenge in life.
- Hedonism. Pleasure and sensuous gratification for oneself.
- Achievement. Personal success through demonstrating competence according to social standards.
- Power. Social status and prestige, control or dominance over people and resources.
- Security. Safety, harmony, and stability of society, of relationships, and of self.
- Conformity. Restraint of actions, inclinations, and impulses likely to upset or harm others and violate social expectations or norms.
- Tradition. Respect, commitment, and acceptance of the customs and ideas that traditional culture or religion provide the self
- Benevolence. Preserving and enhancing the welfare of those with whom one is in frequent personal contact (the ‘in-group’).
- Universalism. Understanding, appreciation, tolerance, and protection for the welfare of all people and for nature
For me the following are important values.. What are yours please let me know…